Credentials: MD, MPH, PhD
Position title: Professor of Population Health Sciences and Family Medicine
Phone: (608) 262-4802
800 University Bay Drive
Madison, WI 53705
Dr. Smith is a Professor in the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, Departments of Population Health Sciences and Family Medicine & Community Health.
Dr. Smith’s research has contributed substantially to improving the quality of care in our healthcare delivery system. She has designed, implemented, and evaluated the impact of health system changes on access to and quality of medical care for aging and chronically ill persons. Her recent PCORI grant is a multi-site collaborative study with Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, and the University of Iowa (HSD 1603-35039) to evaluate case management programs for high-need high-cost patients in healthcare systems across the country. She is also collaborating with the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality and the Collaborative Center for Health Equity to measure and publicly report disparities in the quality of care for health systems across the state of Wisconsin. Recent federally-funded studies have examined the quality of primary care delivery including cancer screening (R01 CA144835) and diabetes care (R01 HS18368) as well as the public reporting of quality in persons with multiple chronic conditions (R21 HS021899).
Dr. Smith has over 171 peer-reviewed publications in journals including JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, Medical Care, Health Services Research, and Quality and Safety in Healthcare. In 2014, she received the AAMC Learning Health System Research Champion Award.
Her leadership positions include the Director of the UW Health Innovation Program and Director of the Community Engagement Module of the NIH-CTSA funded Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. In these roles, she is responsible for coordinating the development of new resources for community-partnered research across UW schools, colleges, departments, and centers.
Her educational activities include teaching one graduate course on the quality of healthcare and patient safety, and mentoring and advising clinical faculty, fellows, residents, medical students, and undergraduates. In 2009, she received the AHRQ John M. Eisenberg Excellence in Mentorship Award.
Dr. Smith received MD and MPH degrees from Yale University School of Medicine, and a PhD from the University of Minnesota in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration in 1999.
- 2013-Present Professor, Departments of Population Health and Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2008-2018 Associate Director for Population Sciences, UW Carbone Cancer Center
- 2008-Present Affiliate Faculty, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin College of Engineering
- 2008-2012 Member of NIH Health Services Organization and Delivery Study Section
- 2007-Present Director for Community-Academic Partnerships, University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- 2006-Present Director, Health Innovation Program, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2001-2014 Associate Director (2001-2007), Director (2007-present), AHRQ T32 Training Grant in Health Services Research and Quality Improvement
- 2009-2013 Associate Professor, Departments of Population Health, Family Medicine, and Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2006-2009 Associate Professor, Departments of Population Health and Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2019 Byron Bird Award for Excellence in a Research Publication
- 2014 AAMC AAMC Learning Health System Research Champion Award
- 2013 Fellow, Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine program
- 2009 AHRQ John M. Eisenberg Excellence in Mentorship Award
- 2007 Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society – Alumni Recognition
- 1998 Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society – Student Recognition
Bonham-Werling J, DeLonay AJ, Stephenson K, Hendricks KA, Bednarz L, Weiss JM, Gigot M, Smith MA. Using Statewide Electronic Health Record and Influenza Vaccination Data to Plan and Prioritize COVID-19 Vaccine Outreach and Communications in Wisconsin Communities. Am J Public Health. 2021 Dec;111(12):2111-2114. PMCID: PMC8667834
Smith M, Adelaine S, Bednarz L, Patterson BW, Pothof J, Liao F. Predictive Solutions in Learning Health Systems: The Critical Need to Systematize Implementation of Predictive Models, Actions, and Interventions. NEJM Catal. 2021 May;2(5).
Smith MA, Nordby PA, Yu M, Jaffery J. A practical model for research with learning health systems: Building and implementing effective complex case management. Appl Ergon. 2020 Apr;84:103023. PMC Journal – In Process
Smith MA, Sarrazin MV, Yu M, Wang X, Nordby PA, Vogeli C, Jaffery J, Metlay JP. The importance of health insurance claims data in creating learning health systems: Evaluating care for high-need high-cost patients using the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network (PCORNet). J Am Med Inform Assoc 2019 Nov 1;26(11):1305-1313. PMCID: PMC7647219
Smith MA, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Yu M, Wang X, Nordby PA, Vogeli C, Jaffery J, Metlay JP. The importance of health insurance claims data in creating learning health systems: evaluating care for high-need high-cost patients using the National Patient-Centered Clinical Research Network (PCORNet). J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2019 Nov 1;26(11):1305-1313. PMCID: PMC7647219
Huling JD, Yu M, Smith M. Fused comparative intervention scoring for heterogeneity of longitudinal intervention effects. Ann Appl Stat. 2019 Jun;13(2):824-847.
Smith MA, Bednarz L, Nordby PA, Fink J, Greenlee RT, Bolt D, Magnan EM. Increasing Consumer Engagement by Tailoring a Public Reporting Website on the Quality of Diabetes Care: A Qualitative Study. J Med Internet Res. 2016 Dec 21;18(12):e332. PMCID: PMC5214669.
Kind AJ, Jencks S, Brock J, Yu M, Bartels C, Ehlenbach W, Greenberg C, Smith M. Neighborhood socioeconomic disadvantage and 30-day rehospitalization: a retrospective cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 2014 Dec 2;161(11):765-74. PMCID: PMC4251560.
Smith MA, Kaufman NJ, Dearlove AJ. External Community Review Committee: A new strategy for engaging community stakeholders in research funding decisions. Prog Community Health Partnersh 2013;7(3):301-12. PMCID: PMC3783962
Smith MA, Wright A, Queram C, Lamb GC. Public reporting helped drive quality improvement in outpatient diabetes care among Wisconsin physician groups. Health Aff (Millwood). 2012 Mar;31(3):570-7. PMCID: PMC3329125
Carayon P, Schoofs-Hundt A, Karsh B-T, Gurses AP, Alvarado CJ, Smith M, Flatley Brennan P. Work system design for patient safety: the SEIPS model. Qual Saf Health Care 2006;15(Suppl 1):i50-i58. PMCID: PMC2464868
Smith MA, Atherly AJ, Kane RL, Pacala JT. Peer review of the quality of care: Reliability and sources of variability for outcome and process assessments. JAMA 1997;278:1573-1578.