Credentials: MD, MPH, PhD
Position title: Professor of Population Health Sciences and Family Medicine
Phone: (608) 262-4802
800 University Bay Drive
Madison, WI 53705
Dr. Smith is a Professor in the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health, Departments of Population Health Sciences and Family Medicine & Community Health.
Dr. Smith’s research has contributed substantially to improving the quality of care in our healthcare delivery system. She has designed, implemented, and evaluated the impact of health system changes on access to and quality of medical care for aging and chronically ill persons. Her current PCORI grant is a multi-site collaborative study with Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard University, and the University of Iowa (HSD 1603-35039) to evaluate case management programs for high-need high-cost patients in healthcare systems across the country. She is also collaborating with the Wisconsin Collaborative for Healthcare Quality and the Collaborative Center for Health Equity to measure and publicly report disparities in the quality of care for health systems across the state of Wisconsin. Recent federally-funded studies have examined the quality of primary care delivery including cancer screening (R01 CA144835) and diabetes care (R01 HS18368) as well as the public reporting of quality in persons with multiple chronic conditions (R21 HS021899).
Dr. Smith has received over $30 million in funding from federal granting agencies and has over 150 peer-reviewed publications in journals including JAMA, Annals of Internal Medicine, Medical Care, Health Services Research, and Quality and Safety in Healthcare. In 2014, she received the AAMC Learning Health System Research Champion Award.
Her leadership positions include the Director of the UW Health Innovation Program and Director of the Community Academic Partnerships core of the NIH-CTSA funded Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. In these roles, she is responsible for coordinating the development of new resources for community-partnered research across UW schools, colleges, departments, and centers.
Her educational activities include teaching two graduate courses in translating research into practice and the quality of healthcare and patient safety, and mentoring and advising clinical faculty, fellows, residents, medical students, and undergraduates. In 2009, she received the AHRQ John M. Eisenberg Excellence in Mentorship Award.
Dr. Smith received MD and MPH degrees from Yale University School of Medicine, and a PhD from the University of Minnesota in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration in 1999.
- 2013-Present Professor, Departments of Population Health and Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2008-Present Associate Director for Population Sciences, UW Carbone Cancer Center
- 2008-Present Affiliate Faculty, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin College of Engineering
- 2008-Present Member of NIH Health Services Organization and Delivery Study Section
- 2007-Present Director for Community-Academic Partnerships, University of Wisconsin Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- 2006-Present Director, Health Innovation Program, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2001-Present Associate Director (2001-2007), Director (2007-present), AHRQ T32 Training Grant in Health Services Research and Quality Improvement
- 2009-2013 Associate Professor, Departments of Population Health, Family Medicine, and Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- 2006-2009 Associate Professor, Departments of Population Health and Family Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health