Director of the Global Health Institute, Professor of Population Health Sciences
258 Enzyme Institute
1710 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53726
Jonathan Patz, MD, MPH, is a Professor and Director of Global Environmental Health at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He Co-Chaired the health expert panel of the US National Assessment on Climate Change and was a Convening Lead Author for the United Nations/World Bank Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. For the past 15 years, Dr. Patz has been a lead author for the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (or IPCC), the organization that shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize with Al Gore.
He is President of the International Association for Ecology and Health and co-editor of the association’s journal EcoHealth. He has written over 90 peer-reviewed papers and a textbook addressing the health effects of global environmental change. He has been invited to brief both houses of Congress, served on several scientific committees of the National Academy of Sciences, and currently serves on science advisory boards for both CDC and EPA. In addition to his sharing in the 2007 Nobel Prize, Dr. Patz received an Aldo Leopold Leadership Fellows Award in 2005, shared the Zayed International Prize for the Environment in 2006, and earned the distinction of becoming a UW-Madison Romnes Faculty Fellow in 2009.
- PHS/IES 740: Health Impact Assessment of Global Environmental Change
- IES 808: Integrative Research Methods for Humans and the Global Environment
- President, International Association for Ecology and Health
- Affiliate Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Executive Board, Physicians for Social Responsibility
- Executive Board, Consortium for Conservation Medicine
- American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- Editorial Board Member: Environmental Health Perspectives; EcoHealth; Frontiers in Ecology; Pan Amazonian Journal of Health
Professor Patz’s Research Team
Top, left to right: Dorothy Lsoto, Valerie Stull, Mattie Bindl, Nick Mailloux, Sam Younkin, Logan Moore
Bottom, left to right: Jonathan Patz, Nova Tebbe, Sam Kruse, Daritza de los Santos, Henry Fremont.