610 Walnut Street
Madison, WI 53726
Ronald E. Gangnon, PhD
- Professor of Population Health Sciences
- Professor of Biostatistics & Medical Informatics
- Professor of Statistics (Affiliate)
Ronald Gangnon is Professor of Biostatistics with a joint appointment in the Department of Population Health Sciences and the Department of Biostatistics & Medical Informatics. He also has an affiliate appointment in the Department of Statistics. Dr. Gangnon earned his BA degree in Mathematics and Economics at the University of Minnesota-Duluth (1992) and his MS (Statistics, 1994) and PhD (Statistics with emphasis in Biostatistics, 1998) from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Gangnon's research interests are in the development and application of statistical methods in clinical and epidemiologic research. Areas of methodologic interest include spatial epidemiology, with emphasis on detection and modeling of spatial and spatio-temporal clusters, syndromic surveillance, age-period-cohort modeling, multi-state models and ranking. Dr. Gangnon serves as Director of the Biostatistics Core for the Childhood Origins of ASThma (COAST) project, a prospective birth cohort study of early childhood risk factors for the development of asthma and allergy. Dr. Gangnon also serves as senior statistician for the Beaver Dam Eye Study and the Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy. Dr. Gangnon maintains active collaborative research programs in asthma and allergy, dysphagia, breast cancer, colorectal cancer, geriatrics, environmental epidemiology and osteoporosis.
- BMI/PHS 551: Introduction to Biostatistics for Population Health
- PHS/BMI 552: Regression Methods for Population Health
- International Biometrics Society
- American Statistical Association
- Society for Epidemiologic Research
- Paul P. Carbone Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Institute for Clinical and Translational Research
- Outstanding Instructor Award, PHS Graduate Student Association, 2008
- First Prize, Poster Session 1, Society for Epidemiologic Research Annual Meeting, 2012
- Trentham-Dietz A, Kerlikowske K, Stout NK, Miglioretti DL, Schechter CB, Ergun MA, van den Broek JJ, Alagoz O, Sprague BL, van Ravensteyn NT, Near AM, Gangnon RE, Hampton JM, Chang Y, de Koning HJ, Mandelblatt JS and Tosteson ANA. Tailoring Breast Cancer Screening Intervals by Breast Density and Risk for Women 50 and Older: Collaborative Modeling of Screening Outcomes. Ann Intern Med. In Press.
- Anderson HM, Lemanske RF, Evans MD, Gangnon RE, Pappas TE, Grindle KA, Bochkov YA, Gern JE and Jackson DJ. Assessment of Wheezing Frequency and Viral Etiology on Childhood and Adolescent Asthma Risk. J Allergy Clin Immunol. In Press.
- Anderson H, Lemanske RF, Arron JR, Holweg CTJ, Rajamanickam V, Gangnon RE, Pappas TE, Grindle KA, Bochkov YA, Gern JE and Jackson DJ. Relationships Among Aeroallergen Sensitization, Peripheral Blood Eosinophils and Periostin in Pediatric Asthma Development. J Allergy Clin Immunol. In Press.
- Adams SV, Hampton JM, Trentham-Dietz A, Gangnon RE, Shafer MM and Newcomb PA. Urinary Cadmium and Mammographic Density. Epidemiology. In Press.
- Xu J and Gangnon RE. (2016) Stepwise and Stagewise Approaches for Spatial Cluster Detection. Spat Spatiotemporal Epidemiol. 17: 59-74.
- Rubner FJ, Jackson D, Evans MD, Gangnon RE, Tisler CJ, Pappas TE, Gern JE and Lemanske RF. (2016) Early Life Rhinovirus Wheezing, Allergic Sensitization and Asthma Risk in Adolescence. J Allergy Clin Immunol. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2016.03.049.
- Shiyanbola OO, Sprague BL, Hampton JM, Dittus K, James TA, Herschorn S, Gangnon RE, Weaver DL and Trentham-Dietz A. (2016) Emerging Trends in Surgical and Adjuvant Radiation Therapies among Women Diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ. Cancer doi: 10.1002/cncr.30105.
- Howard KP, Chandler CS, Huang Y, Klein BEK, Lee KE, Meuer SM, Danis RP, Danforth LG, Gangnon RE and Klein R. (2016) Variability in Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography over 4 Weeks by Age. Ophthal Epidemiol. 23(3): 193-201.
- Hart V, Sprague BL, Lakoski SG, Hampton JM, Newcomb PA, Gangnon RE and Trentham-Dietz A. (2016) Trends in Health Related Quality of Life Following a Diagnosis Carcinoma in situ. J Clin Oncol 34(12): 1323-1329.
- Rogus-Pulia N, Rusche N, Hind JA, Zielinski J, Gangnon R, Safdar N and Robbins J. (2016) Effects of Device-Facilitated Oropharyngeal (I-PRO) Therapy on Swallowing and Health-Related Outcomes in Older Adults with Dysphagia. J Am Geriatr Soc. 64(2): 417-424.
- Mandelblatt JS, Stout NK, Schechter CB, van den Broek JJ, Miglioretti DL, Krapcho M, Trentham-Dietz A, Munoz D, Lee SJ, Berry DA, van Ravesteyn NT, Alagoz O, Kerlikowske K, Tosteson ANA, Near AM, Hoeffken A, Cheng Y, Heijnsdijk EA, Chisholm G, Huang X, Huang H, Ergun MA, Gangnon R, Sprague BL, Plevritis S, Feuer E, de Koning HJ and Cronin KA. (2016) Collaborative Modeling of the Benefits and Harms Associated with Different US Breast Cancer Screening Strategies. Ann Intern Med 164(4): 215-225.
- Loisel D, Du G, Ahluwalia T, Tisler C, Evans M, Mayers R, Gangnon R, Møller E, Bønnelykke K, Bisgaard H, Jakcson D, Lemanske R, Nicolae D, Gern J and Ober C. (2016) Genetic Assocations with Viral Respiratory Illnesses and Asthma Control in Children. Clin Exp Allergy 46(1): 112-124.
- Gennuso KP, Thraen-Borowski KM, Gangnon RE and Colbert LH. (2015) Patterns of Sedentary Behavior and Physical Function in Older Adults. Aging Clin Exp Res. doi:10.1007/s40520-015-0386-4.
- Schulte DM, Sethi A, Gangnon R, Duster M, Maki DG and Safdar N. (2015) Risk Factors for Candida Colonization and Co-Colonization with Multi-Drug Resistant Organisms at Admission. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control 4:46.
- Schüssler-Fiorenza Rose SM, Gangnon R, Chewning B and Wald A. (2015) Increasing Discussion Rates of Incontinence in Primary Care: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Womens Health 24(11): 940-949.
- Coleman AT, Jackson DJ, Gangnon RE, Evans MD, Lemanske RF and Gern JE. (2015) Comparison of Risk Factors for Viral and Nonviral Asthma Exacerbations. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 136(4): 1127-1129.
- Rogus-Pulia N, Churness K, Hind J, Gangnon R, Humpal N, Banaszynski K and Robbins J. (2015) Comparison of Maximal Lingual Pressure Generation during Isometric Gross and Fine Sensorimotor Tasks in Healthy Adults. Arch Phys Med Rehab 96(10): 1785-1794.
- Klein R, Myers CE, Lee KE, Paterson AD, Cruickshanks KJ, Tsai MY, Gangnon RE and Klein BEK. (2015) Serum Oxidized Low-density Lipoprotein and the Incidence of Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy and Clinically Significant Macular Edema from Fundus Photographs. JAMA Ophthalmol 133(9): 1054-1061.
- Athens JK, Remington PL and Gangnon RE (2015) Improving the Rank Precision of Population Health Measures for Small Areas with Longitudinal and Joint Outcomes Models. PLoS One 10(6):e0130027.
- Thomas AO, Jackson DJ, Evans MD, Rajamanickam V, Gangnon RE, Fain SB, Sorkness RL, Okupa AY, Thomas A, Gern JE and Lemanske RF. (2015) Sex-Related Differences in Pulmonary Physiologic Outcome Measures in a High-Risk Birth Cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol 136(2): 282-287.
- Sprague BL, Gangnon RE, Hampton JM, Egan KM, Titus LJ, Kerilkowske K, Remington PL, Newcomb PA and Trentham-Dietz A. (2015) Variation in Breast Cancer Risk Factor Associations by Method of Detection: Results from a Series of Case-Control Studies. Am J Epidemiol 181(12): 956-969.
- Gangnon RE, Sprague BL, Stout NK, Alagoz O, Weedon-Fekjær H, Holford TR and Trentham-Dietz A. (2015) The Contribution of Mammography Screening to Breast Cancer Incidence Trends in the United States: An Updated Age-Period-Cohort Model. Cancer Epidem Biomar 24(6): 905-912.
- Buehring B, Krueger D, Fidler E, Gangnon R, Heiderscheit B and Binkley N. (2015) Reproducibility of Jumping Mechanography and Traditional Measures of Physical and Muscle Function in Older Adults. Osteoporosis Int 26(2): 819-825.
- Klein R, Myers CE, Lee KE, Gangnon RE, Sivakumaran TA, Iyengar SK and Klein BEK. (2015) Small Drusen and Age-Related Macular Degeneration: The Beaver Dam Eye Study. J Clin Med 4(3): 425-440.
- Chang TS, Gangnon RE, Page CD, Buckingham WR, Tandias A, Cowan KJ, Tomasallo CD, Arndt BG, Hanrahan LP and Guilbert TW. (2015) Sparse Modeling of Spatial Environmental Variables Associated with Asthma. J Biomed Inform 53: 320-329.
- Gennuso KP, Gangnon RE, Thraen-Borowski KM and Colbert LH. (2015) Dose-Response Relationships Between Sedentary Behavior and the Metabolic Syndrome and Its Components. Diabetologia 58(3): 485-492.
- Gangnon RE, Lee KE, Klein BEK, Iyengar SK, Sivakumaran TA and Klein R. (2015) Severity of Age-Related Macular Degeneration in 1 Eye and the Incidence and Progression of Age-Related Macular Degeneration in the Fellow Eye: The Beaver Dam Eye Study. JAMA Ophthalmol. 133(2): 125-132.