Room 4263 Health Sciences Learning Center
750 Highland Avenue
Madison, WI 53705
Patrick Remington, MD, MPH
- Associate Dean for Public Health
- Director, UW-Madison Preventive Medicine Residency Program
Dr. Remington received his undergraduate degree in molecular biology and his medical degree from the University of Wisconsin. After completing an internship at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle, he trained at the CDC as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer (assigned to the Michigan health department); as a Preventive Medicine Resident in the Division of Nutrition at the CDC, and as part of the CDC Career Development Program, when he obtained his MPH in Epidemiology from the University of Minnesota.
He was the Chief Medical Officer for Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention in the Wisconsin Division of Health for almost a decade, and joined the Department of Population Health Sciences in 1997. Since that time he has led the development and was the first Director of the UW MPH Program, the UW Population Health Institute, and the UW Preventive Medicine Residency Program; was the first Associate Director for Population Health Science in the Carbone Cancer Center, and was the inaugural Associate Dean for Public Health in the renamed, School of Medicine and Public Health.
Dr. Remington's current research examines ways to improve public health surveillance methods and outcomes. He led the development of the Wisconsin County Health Rankings, now a national program supported by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Associate Dean for Public Health, UW School of Medicine and Public Health
- Professor, Department of Population Health Sciences
- Director, UW-Madison Preventive Medicine Residency Program
- Affiliate Faculty Appointments, Department of Family Medicine, and School of Nursing
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Population Health, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Former Director, UW MPH Program and UW Population Health Institute
- Introduction to Public Health--Local to Global Perspectives (PHS 370 / 3 credits / Spring semesters)
- Communicating Public Health Information Effectively (PHS 660 / 1 credit / summer session)
- Leadership in Medicine and Public Health (PHS 712 / 1 credit / medical students)
- Principles and Practice of Public Health (Co-Directed with Edgar) (PHS 780 / 3 credits / Fall semesters)
- Population Medicine and Epidemiology (Co-Directed with Nieto) (PHS 717 / 3 credits / Fall semesters)
- Langmuir Lecturer, Centers for Disease Control, 2010
- Wisconsin Public Health Association, Public Health Researcher of the Year, 2007
- Lynn R. Smith Award for Outstanding Leadership in Tobacco Control, Am. Cancer Society, 2006
- Dean's Teaching Award, UW Medical School, 2003
- Centers for Disease Control Service Award, Outstanding Scientific Contributions to Public Health Award, for the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2001
- State Medical Society of Wisconsin 2000 Meritorious Service Award
Peppard PE, Kindig DA, Dranger E, Jovaag A, Remington PL. Ranking Community Health Status to Stimulate Discussion of Local Public Health Issues: The Wisconsin County Health Rankings. Am J Public Health 2008; Feb; 98(2): 209-12.
Rohan AM, Booske BC, Remington PL. Using the Wisconsin County Health Rankings to Catalyze Community Health Improvement. J Public Health Manag Pract 2009; Jan-Feb; 15(1): 24-32. PMID: 19077591.
Matloub J, Creswell PD, Strickland R, Pierce K, Stephenson L, Waukau J, Kaur JS, Remington P. Lessons Learned from a Community-Based Participatory Research Project to Improve American Indian Cancer Surveillance. Prog Community Health Partnersh 2009; Spring; 3(1): 47-52. PMID: 20208301.
Treml K, Conlon AE, Wegner MV, Baliker M, Remington P. Wisconsin's Health Department-University Partnership Model for Comprehensive Cancer Control. Prev Chronic Dis 2009; Apr; 6(2): A58. PMID: 19289001.
Remington PL, Moberg DP, Booske BC, Ceraso M, Friedsam D, Kindig DA. Dissemination Research: The University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. WMJ 2009; Aug; 108(5): 236-9, 255. PMID: 19743753.
Booske BC, Rohan AM, Kindig DA, Remington PL. Grading and Reporting Health and Health Disparities. Prev Chronic Dis 2010; Jan; 7(1): A16. PMID: 20040231.
Kindig DA, Booske BC, Remington PL. Mobilizing Action Toward Community Health (MATCH): Metrics, Incentives, and Partnerships for Population Health. Prev Chronic Dis 2010; Jul; 7(4): A68. PMID: 20550826.
Remington PL, Brownson R, Wegner MV (eds). Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Control, 3rd Edition. American Public Health Association, Washington DC, 2010.
Mokdad AH, Remington PL. Measuring Health Behaviors in Populations. Prev Chronic Dis 2010; Jul; 7(4): A75. Epub 2010 Jun 15. PMID: 20550833.
Sprague BL, Trentham-Dietz A, Remington PL. The Contribution of Postmenopausal Hormone Use Cessation to the Declining Incidence of Breast Cancer. Cancer Causes Control 2011; Jan; 22(1): 125-34. PMID: 21080050.
Williamson AA, Fox BJ, Creswell PD, Kuang X, Ceglarek SL, Brower AM, Remington PL. An Observational Study of the Secondary Effects of a Local Smoke-Free Ordinance. Prev Chronic Dis 2011; Jul; 8(4): A83. Epub 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21672407.
Remington PL, Booske BC. Measuring the Health of Communities--How and Why? J Public Health Manag Pract 2011; Sep-Oct; 17(5): 397-400. PMID: 21788775.
Remington PL, Brownson RC; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Fifty Years of Progress in Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Control. MMWR Surveill Summ 2011; Oct 7; 60 Suppl 4: 70-7. PMID: 21976169.
Vivian EM, Colbert L, Remington PL. Lessons Learned from a Community Based Lifestyle Intervention for Youth at Risk for Diabetes. J Obes Weight Loss Ther 2013; 3: 191. PMID: 24353925.
Creswell PD, Strickland R, Stephenson L, Pierce-Hudson K, Matloub J, Waukau J, Adams A, Kaur J, Remington PL. Look Local: The Value of Cancer Surveillance and Reporting by American Indian Clinics. Prev Chronic Dis 2013; Nov 27; 10: E197. PMID: 24286271.
Remington PL, Catlin BB, Kindig DA. Monitoring Progress in Population Health: Trends in Premature Death Rates. Prev Chronic Dis 2013; Dec 26; 10: E214. PMID: 24370109.
Ceraso M, Swain GR, Vergeront JM, Oliver TR, Remington PL. Academic Health Departments as Training Sites for Future Public Health Leaders: A Partnership Model in Wisconsin. J Public Health Manag Pract 2014; May-Jun; 20(3): 324-9. PMID: 24667194.
Remington P, Flood T. Public Health Surveillance. In Oxford Bibliographies, 2014. ISBN: 9780199756797.
Remington PL, Catlin BB, Gennuso KP. The County Health Rankings: Rationale & Methods. Population Health Metrics 2015; Apr 17; 13(11): 1-12. PMID 25931988.
Athens JK, Remington PL, Gangnon RE. Improving the Rank Precision of Population Health Measures for Small Areas with Longitudinal and Joint Outcome Models. PLoS One 2015; Jun 22; 10(6): e0130027. PMID: 26098858.
Pronk NP, Remington PL; Community Preventive Services Task Force. Combined Diet and Physical Activity Promotion Programs for Prevention of Diabetes: Community Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. Ann Intern Med 2015; Jul; 163. PMID: 26168073.
Remington PL. County Health Rankings and the Cult of the Imperfect. Health Serv Res 2015; Oct; 50(5): 1407-12. Epub 2015 Aug 9. PMID: 26256566.